Welcome to the World of WordPress
Tools to put you in control of your web site
WordPress (WP) is a software technique for managing and displaying your web site without the need for expensive software authoring tools. WP is an OpenSource (meaning no license fee) software script that is installed within your website and allow you (or us) to create and maintain the content of your web site.
- Built-in editor: change the text and pictures on your site pages using a WORD-like interface, and then see your results instantly live on the web.
- Add Blogs, Contact Forms, Calendars, Site Search, Fly-out Navigation Menu, Picture Galleries, E-Commerce (with PayPal), FaceBook and Social Media integration, Fading/Scrolling Testimonials
- Insert pictures with captions alongside page text
- Page content is easily edited by anyone with basic computer skills. Editor is accessible via password login.
- WordPress is open source and thus is free, including updated version releases.
- WordPress is especially good for blogs and RSS newsfeeds – a great way to keep your clients and colleagues aware of your updates and new accomplishments.
- Add-ons/plugins/widgets are available with no licensing cost – only nominal installation costs apply.
SITE DESIGN OPTIONS
Depending on your budget and the scope of your site, there are several levels of design complexity to choose from – from a basic static (no motion) small number of informational text pages, to a fully customized magazine-quality site with elaborate imagery and motion graphics (video, slideshows, animated text).
HOW WE GO ABOUT IT
We design the structure (shell template) of your web site pages, and then you or we can fill in the content. If you’re converting from a previous web site, then copying/adapting is easy.
Our primary steps are:
- create the basic template with your masthead header image and text
- create your navigation menu based on the outline of your site that you give us (ex: HOME, ABOUT/BIO, PORTFOLIO, EVENTS CALENDAR, PRESS KIT, CONTACT)
- collect the text and images from you that you want on your pages. Often stock images are available to give your site a professional look.
HOW YOU EDIT YOUR SITE
When you want to make a change to one of your pages, you login to a special area in your site. You then scroll down to the text you want to change, and edit it in place, just like in email, Microsoft WORD or other desktop publishing tools. Once you’re happy with your results, your click on the UPDATE button which publishes your page. You can then view your results in a browser and see what the world is now seeing as the new content for that page.